NBSC Cromer Campus

The co-educational comprehensive campus of the Northern Beaches Secondary College

Telephone02 9981 1155


Rules and policies

Rules and policies are in place to make sure your child remains safe and well at school.

Visit the NSW Department of Education’s policy library for all current operational policies.

Our school uses the department's School Community Charter to ensure all of our communication is collaborative and respectful.

Attendance and absences

Students must attend school regularly so they can achieve their educational best and increase their career and life options.

In NSW, all children from the age of 6 are legally required to attend school or be registered for home schooling through the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). All students must complete Year 10, or its equivalent.

Young people below the age of 17 who have completed Year 10 must be:

  • in school, or registered for home schooling 

  • in approved education or training, such as a traineeship, apprenticeship or TAFE

  • in full-time paid employment (average 25 hours a week) 

  • in a combination of work, education and/or training (average of 25 hours a week combined).

Students 17 years and over who are enrolled in school must attend school regularly to meet HSC course requirements. 

As a parent or carer, you are responsible for ensuring your child attends school every day when they are of compulsory school age. You must explain all absences to the school within 7 days.

For more information about compulsory school attendance, visit:

Attendances are recorded electronically by teachers every lesson at Cromer Campus. This allows us to have very accurate data about when students are in class and whether they have been in a lesson. If a student is not in class, it is their own responsibility to catch up on the work missed.

Parents will be informed by SMS if a student is not at school. This message can be replied to with an explanation for the absence.

Student attendance can also be monitored by parents through the Student Portal.

Extended leave - travel

When a student will be absent from school for more than three (3) days.

Families are encouraged to travel during school holidays. If travel during school term is necessary, an 'Application for Extended Leave' and Certificate of extended leave travel forms will need to be completed .

Return the completed forms to the school along with relevant travel documentation such as an e-ticket or itinerary (in the case of non-flight bound travel within Australia only).